I turn 29 today (#29forever), which feels right and strange all at the same time. While 2017 sucked for all kinds of reasons, 28 was pretty solid – cemented financial independence , moved in with Aaron, progressed my career into job #2, made multiple trips to see and celebrate with friends all over. So many great and wonderful things that I was fortunate to be able to do in this season of life! But 29? Goodness, time moves fast when you’re busy kicking butt!
I was toying with making a 30 before 30 list. While it might be fun, adventurous, and reflective, it also could just be more things to do, which I am moving away from more and more in my life. Also, 30 is a lot of things!
So a compromise: I divided the list into 6 categories – To Do, To Make, To Go, To Give, To Be Well, To NOT Do – and each category has 5 items. The intention would be to accomplish all of them, but I am going to be happy with hitting one in each area.
- Clean out my closet Kon Mari style
- Complete my 6 month living expense savings goal
- Successfully care for my aloe vera plant all year
- Read 5-10 professional development books related to leadership, org development, training, and intergroup dialogue
- Write once a week – cards, blog, journal etc
- Start the seltzer review blog for giggles (current working title is Bitchin’ Bout Bubbles. All suggestions welcome!)
- Start the Aaron & Amy cookbook
- Start the Aaron & Amy scrapbook
- Cook a new recipe at least once a month (Aaron thinks we can do every week, we’ll see…)
- Explore/create an online community for adult children of grey divorce
- Plan and go on a trip by myself
- Plan an international trip for 2018 or 2019
- Eat at a Michelin Star restaurant (Aaron’s respone “Is one star ok? How about half a star?”)
- Go to a concert of one of my favorite bands I have always wanted to see
- Go off the grid for at least a weekend – no phone, email, social media, computer, or to-do lists
- Research and set-up annual donations to organizations doing work aligned with my values and social justice
- Volunteer time with a local service organization
- Continue to reflect on those I am most thankful for each month in my Passion Planner AND tell those people!
- Practice empathy, employ active listening, and give grace when presented with perspectives and ideologies different from my own and utilize my education and skill set to challenge oppression within my sphere of influence
- Host nearest and dearest in our home throughout the year
To Be Well
- Do another Whole30
- Hike and ADK 46er
- Be able to clean and jerk my body weight
- Try a new exercise class
- Explore second opinions and additional medical providers towards getting my cycle back on track and understanding my hormones (reading this Women’s Running article last year really spoke to my experience since starting CrossFit)
To NOT Do
- Say “yes” when I want to say “no”
- Weigh myself
- Forget my own oxygen mask and boundaries when helping others
- Buy new clothes (I’ve done it, and it’s high time to do it again! Despite what I tell myself, happiness is not found in an Old Navy online shopping cart)
- Stress about completing every item on this list
Some goals, some plans, some day-to-day, and some intentions on how I want to live my life this year and beyond – continuing to cultivate wellness, gratitude, adventure, and love. Cheers to 29!